TTAC Webinar: Understanding the Rapid Assessment of Pandemic Impact on Development – Early Childhood (RAPID-EC) Surveys
How are our children?
How are families with young children affected by the pandemic?
The COVID-19 pandemic has created numerous challenges for families with young children; however the unique nature of the pandemic means that there was not a pre-existing scientific knowledge base to understand the specific issues affecting children, parents, and childcare providers during this time, or to inform policy decisions. The Rapid Assessment of Pandemic Impact on Development (RAPID) surveys were designed to address these issues via ongoing quantitative and qualitative data collection from large national samples.
This webinar focused on results from the ongoing RAPID survey, which began as a weekly national survey of households with young children in April 2020. In March of 2021, a national survey of childcare providers was added.
Explore the eye-opening results of these surveys with Dr. Philip Fisher, PhD, Philip H. Knight Chair and Professor of Psychology at the University of Oregon.
Attendees received information about the design of these surveys. Main results of the surveys to date was also presented, including information about the mental health and well-being of families and providers, how material hardship is affecting households with young children, and how structural inequalities based on race/ethnicity, and family structure have widened during the pandemic. Additional information was presented about healthcare and childcare utilization, and about stimulus relief and workforce impacts of the pandemic.
Additional Webinar Resources:
- The RAPID-EC website is here: https://www.uorapidresponse.com/
- A link to a searchable item bank with all of the survey questions is here: https://www.uorapidresponse.com/survey-item-bank
- The 2020 blog postings, and our recent 1-year survey anniversary posting, from the survey are here.:https://medium.com/rapid-ec-project
- A fact sheet, on 2020 stimulus payments, is here: https://www.uorapidresponse.com/stimulus-payments-essential-families-young-children.
- Media stories based on our data are listed here: https://www.uorapidresponse.com/coverage
- Our FASTT website providing text and telephone support for households and providers is here: https://www.fasttline.com